Hundreds of free car parking spaces will be available for shoppers and visitors to Limerick city centre this Christmas, beginning this weekend.
Following on from the success of the scheme in 2017, Limerick City and County Council is providing hundreds of additional free car parking spaces with Park & Strides and Park & Rides available around the city. New sites this year include the Irish Rail Depot, Great National South Court Hotel in Raheen and University of Limerick.
The extra spaces along with the Cleeve’s site and the Council’s own car park at Merchant’s Quay, which is accessed via Nicholas Street, will mean shoppers and visitors to the city will be able to park for free.
The FREE Park & Strides will operate from 9am to 9pm each day and security will be provided at these sites. All the Park & Strides are within a short walk of the shopping districts in the city centre, making the city an ideal place for you to visit during the festive period, allowing you to soak up the unique atmosphere of Christmas in Limerick.
The Cleeve’s Site, O’Callaghan Strand is open on the 7th Dec and will remain open daily until New Year’s Eve inclusive.
The Limerick City and County Council Car Park, via Nicholas Street will operate on Saturday and Sundays the 8th, 9th 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd Dec as well as Christmas Eve inclusive.
The Irish Rail Depot, Roxboro Road will be open on this Saturday and Sunday the 8th and 9th Dec and then daily from the 15th Dec to Christmas Eve inclusive.
In addition, there are two Park & Ride locations on the outskirts of the city, which will be on from 9am to 9pm.
The Park & Ride at the Great National South Court Hotel, Raheen operates on the 8th, 9th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd Dec.
While the University of Limerick Park & Ride will be operating on Saturday and Sunday for the next three weekends.
Motorists using the Park & Rides will then board regular Bus Éireann scheduled services 304, 304A (from both locations) and 301 from Raheen. A real-time information app can be downloaded from the National Transport Authority, while use a Leap Card for the best bus fares.
All Park & Ride and Park & Stride locations will be signposted.
As always parking in the city centre is available on-street and in multi-storey car parks. Download the Limerick e-parking app, or pay by phone or disc. On-street car parking is free after 5.30pm daily and is always free on Sundays.
In Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock and Newcastle West, motorists will get an extra two hours free parking in each of the towns from 2.30pm daily from 07 until 31 December inclusive. They already have their first hour free.
Laura Ryan, Head of Marketing & Communications with Limerick City and County Council said: “This weekend will be hopping in Limerick with live music from the vintage caravan stage on Bedford Row all afternoon for Savins Musical Treats, a winter busking competition on Upper William Street, plenty of gift ideas with our Limerick Unwrapped events and a host of free, family friendly events in Limerick with Toots the train leading the charge on traditionally one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.”
Dee Ryan CEO of Limerick Chamber added: “Our members are pleased with the announcement of hundreds of extra car parking spaces for Christmas 2018, making a day trip to Limerick City an attractive offering for seasonal shoppers as well as those who simply wish to get a bite to eat and enjoy the festive atmosphere.”
By using the Park & Rides and Park & Strides, you will be able to experience Christmas in Limerick including:
- Toots Christmas Train - Hop on board the award winning ‘Toots the Train’ and travel through the heart of the city and experience the festive sights and sounds and the Christmas lights! Every Fri, Sat & Sun until 23rd Dec.
- King John’s Castle Magical Christmas - Why not visit Santa Claus and all his friends who have come to live within the magnificent castle walls for their weekends in December 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 20th – 23rd Dec.
- Limerick Unwrapped – Join Celia Holman-Lee for some inspiration and gift ideas showcasing the best of fashion, jewellery, accessories and gifts from local Limerick stores. At Bowes Ryan Café, Arthur’s Quay, and Alex Findlater & Co, O’Connell St, Limerick on 7th Dec and Sodalicious, Lower Cecil St and The Savoy Bar, Savoy Hotel on 8th Dec
- The Gingerbread Factory and Santa’s Postbox at the Hunt Museum. You can make your own gingerbread while enjoying a hot chocolate before writing your all-important letter to Santa and posting it in the Big Green Post Box. Every Fri, Sat & Sun until 23rd Dec.
- Limerick on Ice - Enjoy the magic of real ice at Ireland’s longest established ice-rink Arthur’s Quay Park until 6th Jan.
- Santa’s Christmas Postbox on Cecil Street, is in place weekdays from 9.30am to 5.30pm and from 1pm to 5pm on Sundays until the 23rd Dec. Christmas Letter Forms are available from shops along Lower Cecil Street or can be downloaded from An Post’s website www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Letters+to+Santa.htm.
- Christmas at the Milk Market and the Christmas Market on Cruises Street – Soak up the atmosphere with local artisan traders showcasing the wonderful handmade craft, art, horticultural produce and seasonal treats. Milk Market: 14th – 16th Dec and 21st – 24th Dec. Cruises Street: 16th – 24th Dec
- Musical Treats sponsored by Savins. Bedford Row will be filled with festive cheer as colourful street performers and musicians entertain live from the vintage caravan stage on the 8th Dec.
- Winter Busking Competition on Upper William Street. Sample some of the best sounds around as musicians and bands compete for one afternoon only on the 8th Dec.
- Santas - A host of magical Santas across Limerick including Newcastle West: 8th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 22nd Dec, Lough Gur on 8th, 9th, 15th , 16th Dec, Kilfinane on 9th Dec and Stonehall: 1st to 22nd Dec
- Christmas Racing Festival – Limerick Racecourse – the four-day traditional festival is the ideal place to continue the celebrations in style from 26th Dec.
The Christmas in Limerick programme is being co-ordinated by Limerick City and County Council’s Culture & Arts Department and Marketing & Communications Department.
Christmas in Limerick is supported by:
- Gold Sponsors - Arthurs Quay Shopping Centre, King John’s Castle/ Shannon Heritage, Specsavers, SuperValu
- Silver Sponsors - Brown Thomas, Caherdavin and District Credit Union, Limerick Chamber
- Bronze Sponsors - Alex Findlater & Co, Centra, O'Connell St., The Hunt Cafe, Retail Excellence Ireland, Savins, Shannon Airport
- Media Partners are Limerick’s Live 95fm, Limerick Post, Limerick Leader, Spin SouthWest
All details about what’s on for Christmas in Limerick 2018 are available in the Christmas In Limerick 2018 brochure, 100,000 copies of which are being distributed across the mid-west.
Keep up to date with all things Christmas in Limerick via: