The Urban Garden, in the heart of the city centre’s shopping district, will be a hub of activity between now and the big day. Soak up the festive sights and city lights as you make your plans for present buying or nights out with family and friends.
Last year’s festive favourite Toots the Train makes a welcome return to the city in the run up to Christmas. Hop on board Toots at the Urban Garden, travel through the heart of the city and experience Christmas in Limerick!
Award winning Toots is wheelchair accessible and buggy friendly. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. As with all trains please expect a wait time at busy periods.
Toots will be in Limerick every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 29 Nov until 22 Dec.
While waiting for Toots at the Urban Garden you can visit Santa’s Charity Cabin by Matthew Stephens Jewellers, enjoy the festive music or take a selfie on Santa’s sleigh under the twinkling lights of Limerick’s giant Christmas tree!
Nearby in Arthur’s Quay Park, experience the magic of ice skating at one of Limerick’s most celebrated Christmas attractions Limerick on Ice. Whether you’re a seasoned skater or a complete beginner, this is a firm family favourite for all to enjoy. Limerick on Ice is open every day from 28 Nov until 5 Jan, with the exception of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Christmas in Limerick officially kicked off last Sunday [17 Nov] when over 17,000 people joined the Mayor Michael Sheahan and his special guest the Rose of Tralee Dr Sinéad Flanagan in turning on the city’s spectacular LED Christmas lights.
Among the other festive highlights:
- 8 Days of Christmas at Limerick Milk Market - Christmas cheer is in the air with a range of themed markets, handmade crafts and gifts, seasonal foods, local fashion and festive fun. Throughout December, there will be a special Santa letter service, and a visit from the man himself on Saturday 14 December!
- Festive Craft Fair – Local artisan traders will showcase wonderful handmade crafts, art and seasonal treats to get shoppers into the Christmas spirit on Limerick’s Cruises Street.
- Big Names After Dark – Limerick is the place to be this Christmas with a host of big names performing. Ardal O’Hanlon, Wild Youth, Walking on Cars, Delorentos, The 4 of Us, Nathan Carter, Phil Coulter and our own Blindboy are just some of the top name acts performing in Limerick between now and Christmas.
- New Year’s Eve Fireworks – Get your New Year’s Eve celebrations underway with a spectacular fireworks display over the River Shannon. This family friendly event will be a fitting finale to the Christmas festivities and will kickstart your New Year’s Eve celebrations at a family friendly time of 7pm.
- County Fare – Santa will be getting a fair idea of what the boys and girls across Limerick want for Christmas as he is popping up across Limerick in the run up to the Big Day! Special Santa’s Grottos are in Lough Gur, Stonehall Wildlife Park, D&M Garden Centre in Croagh. Kilmallock has a Christmas Market, while Rockbarton Garden Centre Bruff is hosting a Christmas Wreath Workshop.
- Sport – Family and friends will be able to gather at various sporting events over Christmas. The annual Christmas Racing Festival in Limerick Racecourse is the biggest of the year, while Munster v Leinster will no doubt be a sell-out, with greyhound racing also a popular night out.
To make Christmas in Limerick even more accessible, hundreds of additional free car parking spaces will be provided with Park & Strides and Park & Rides available around the city. Locations include the Council’s car park at Merchant’s Quay, Cleeve’s, the Irish Rail Depot, Great National South Court Hotel in Raheen and University of Limerick.
Free Park & Stride (9am to 9pm)
- Cleeve’s Site, O’Callaghan Strand from 06 to 31 Dec inclusive
- Limerick City and County Council car park, via Nicholas Street on 07 & 08, 14 & 15 and 22 & 22 and 24 Dec inclusive
- Irish Rail Depot, Roxboro Road on 07 & 08 and 14 – 24 Dec inclusive
Park & Ride (9am to 9pm)
- The Great National South Court Hotel, Raheen 07 & 08, 14 & 15, 21 & 22 Dec inclusive
- University of Limerick 08 & 09, 15 & 16, 22 & 23 Dec inclusive
Motorists using the Park & Rides will then board regular Bus Éireann scheduled services 304 and 304A (from the Stables Complex at UL and opposite St Nessan’s Church in Raheen) and Dublin Coach services 307 and 308 from the Stables Complex at UL.
Parking in the city centre is available on-street and in multi-storey car parks. Download the Limerick e-parking app, or pay by phone or disc. On-street car parking is free after 5.30pm daily and is always free on Sundays.
In Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock and Newcastle West, shoppers will get an extra two hours free parking in each of the towns from 2.30pm daily from 07 until 31 Dec inclusive. This is in addition to the first hour free.
The Christmas in Limerick programme is being co-ordinated by Limerick City and County Council’s Culture & Arts and Marketing & Communications Departments.
Christmas in Limerick is supported by Limerick Post, Limerick Chamber, Limerick Leader, Live 95 and Spin South West.
All details about what’s on over the Christmas period in Limerick will be available in the Christmas in Limerick 2019 event guide online and will be distributed throughout Limerick.
Keep up to date with all things Christmas in Limerick via: